Q: What is my member number?

A: Your CSIA member number is written on your membership card as well as your renewal notices, confirmations & receipts. If you do not know your membership number, please click here and send us your Full Name, date of birth and address.

Q: Where can I get membership receipts?

A: All membership receipts are automatically upload to your CSIA personal page. To obtain a receipt please
log in to your CSIA personal page and select My Profile, then My invoices and receipts. * Please note there is no official tax receipt for membership dues, only a paid invoice.

Q: I have been inactive for three years. Do I have to pay 3 years of back dues?

A: No, you will not be required to pay back dues for all season that you were not a member. When reinstating your will be responsible to pay a Reinstatement fee plus the cost of the annual membership the season you reactivate. For information on reinstatement click here.

Q: I am a Level 1 instructor and have been inactive for 12 years. Do I have to retake my Level 1 course?

A: Once you have passed your certification, it is yours for life. However, upon reinstatement you will be required to complete a recall of your certification in order to get everything up to date according to CSIA standards. For more information on CSIA recall click here.

Q: How do I get the international certification (ISIA) sticker?

A: In order to qualify for the ISIA recognition you must be a Regular or Associate member of the organization holding CSIA Level 3 or above, and you must provide proof of a valid Avalanche Safety training and First Aid certification as well as have accumulated 320 hours of education. For more information and to apply click here.

Q: I passed my Level 1 in March and I just received a dues invoice in August. Isn't my membership good for one year after becoming certified?

A: When you passed your level 1, you became certified and enjoyed all the rights and privileges of a current CSIA member for the remainder of the current membership season. CSIA membership runs from October 1st to September 30th every year. To retain your membership and receive all the member rights and privileges for another season, there is an annual membership to be paid each fall. Log in to your personal page to access the renewal form.

Q: I am a CSIA member who resides in Ontario however I teach at a mountain in Quebec. How do we go about changing the Region we are affiliate with in order to be able to vote on CSIA Quebec Regional matters?

A: A member may have their permanent address of residency in a given CSIA Region, but choose to teach skiing or reside, on a seasonal basis, in another Region. Click here to consult the CSIA’s procedure to change your Regional Affiliation on a seasonal basis.




Q: How old do I have to be to take a Level 1 course?

A: You must be 15 years of age by the first day of the course. No exceptions.

Q: What type of skier must I be to take a Level 1 course?

A: The Level 1 Ski Instructor certification is for any skier over the age of 15 that is a competent parallel skier. The Level 1 Candidate can expect to be exposed to a variety of terrain, terrain features and snow conditions. For more information, please click here.

Q: But, I've never taught before.

A: No worries, that's what the course is all about. The course conductors are there to teach you how to teach, so that you will be able to go out and give a great first lesson.

Q: So how much does a Level 1 course cost?

A: The cost of the course varies from region to region. You can find all the information pertaining to course fees, please visit the schedule and registration page by clicking here or contact the Level 1 Coordinators for the specific region you wish to take the course.

Q: I'm interested in taking a Level 1 course this year. Can I register through your National office?

A: All Level 1 courses are managed by the regions but registrations can be done through the national website, by clicking here.

Q: A friend of mine just received a membership card with a member number. Why was I only given a cardboard card when I completed my Level 1 course?

A: That’s your temporary card, which confirms that you have successfully completed your Level 1 course. Once your course results have been processed by the National Office, you will receive an official membership card with your new member number.

Q: I took the Level 1 course and failed, what do I have to do?

A: You must take a 2-day re-test, on any scheduled Level 1 course. To register please visit the program registration page by clicking here.

Q: I've passed my Level 1 and want to take another course?

A: Level 2 certification, Snow Park Certification and National Modules are your next possible steps. Check out the Certification section for more information or click here for the schedule and registration page.

Q: What are the pre-requisites for courses?

A: Please visit the Certification section for a program description of all courses.

Q: If I only pass a portion of a Level 2, 3 or 4 exams, do I have to take the full course over again?

A: No. Should you fail to meet the standard on either, or both, portions of the assessment (ski and/or teach), you will not be required to attend the training course again. When coming back for a re-test, you will not be examined on the portion you've passed already; you will be re-tested on your failed portion only.

Q: I registered for a course, what if the weather is lousy?

A: Courses take place regardless of weather conditions. The only time a course might be cancelled is in the event of a lack of participants or when the hill is closed for an extended period of time during the course due to extreme weather conditions (lack of snow, severe snow storms, lightning storms, intense high winds, etc.). Should the CSIA cancel a course, you will be contacted by the national office and, if applicable, a full refund will be issued.

Q: Where can I get course receipts?

A: All course receipts are located in your profile for the current season and last season. Tax receipts are made available in February for the previous year.

Q: I need to transfer or cancel my course, how can I do so?

A: To view our policy and access the form, please Click here

Q: I keep reading about Education Credits, what are they?

A: Education Credits are the base to our credit-based, modular certification system. They attest to your effort in continuing education through the CSIA. For more information and learn how to accumulate credits, click here.

Q: Can the training I received or my work experience at the ski school be recognized for Education Credits?

A: Unfortunately not. Education Credits are only allocated for participation in CSIA programs.

Q: How can I see the number of credits I've accumulated so far?

A: Credits are being tracked on your personal page, under My profile, then My Pathway. Credits are accumulated into a grand total, which can only increase. At no time will you be required to trade or “sell” credits. Processing of your credits to be posted unto your profile can take up to 4 weeks after the program you've attended.

Q: I am a CSIA member in good standing and still actively teaching at the young age of 73. However, I was told by a fellow member that I am NOT covered by CSIA’s insurance programs. Is this true?

A: Our general liability policy does not have an age limitation. You are therefore covered for third party property damage or bodily injury while on the hill, either while you are teaching under the employment of a recognized ski school, or leisure skiing on your personal time.

However, CSIA's Accidental Death and Disability (AD&D) policy does have an age limit for coverage of members aged 70 years and over.




Q: I am a CSIA foreign member and will be working as an instructor for a ski school in Canada. Should I injure myself while teaching and what coverage am I entitled to?

A: Although foreign members are covered under the accident, death and disability (AD&D) insurance program, the coverage is strictly limited to death and dismemberment indemnity, the principal sum being $25,000. The AD&D coverage is only for members who are registered under a Canadian provincial Medicare program. For this reason, we strongly recommend that you investigate purchasing your own accident insurance coverage prior to travelling to Canada.

Q: As a CSIA instructor, am I insured to teach privately or as an "Independent and Freelance Instructor" ?

A: No. coverage does NOT apply to instructors operating as an independent business. Please note that additional coverage is available and must be purchased if members are conducting business as Independent/Freelance Instructor. The intent of the policy is NOT to provide coverage for snow school/ski camp operations under a paid membership renewal. For further details on the insurance coverage for Independent/Freelance Instructors teaching in Canada, please consult the information published under the Members/Insurance section of our website or contact Ms. Frances Dion at 1 800-811-6428 at ext. 231 or by email at

Q: I am a CSIA instructor and I would like to know if I am insured to teach outside of Canada?

A: No. You are covered under our liability insurance program while teaching in Canada.

Q: I am a CSIA instructor and I’m considering teaching independently at various ski resorts. Do I require the permission of the host resort to do so? If not, can you please explain why?

A: Each resort will have its own policy on this. You will find that virtually NO resort in Canada permits freelance instruction, where an individual not affiliated with the resort accepts money to teach on the hill. This is not a CSIA issue and it is up to each resort to set and enforce policies.

As a point of clarity, this has nothing to do with the many independent snow schools, operating across Canada. These organizations will have entered into agreements with the resorts at which they operate. These agreements will likely include a requirement that the organization hold their own third party liability insurance and that the host resort is provided coverage under that policy. Each member must make their own choices with respect to their business activities. The CSIA works together with our industry partners for the good of the sport and the industry and we encourage each member to make responsible, well considered decisions.

Q: I am a CSIA member in good standing and still actively teaching at the young age of 73. However, I was told by a fellow member that I am NOT covered by CSIA’s insurance programs. Is this true?

A: Our general liability policy does not have an age limitation. You are therefore covered for third party property damage or bodily injury while on the hill, either while you are teaching under the employment of a recognized ski school, or leisure skiing on your personal time.

However, CSIA's Accidental Death and Disability (AD&D) policy does have an age limit for coverage of members aged 70 years and over.

Q: Are course participants covered by the CSIA Accident, Death and Disability (AD&D) policy?

A: The Accident policy covers paid members of the CSIA. Provided the participant is a paid member, there might be coverage depending on the circumstances and the nature of the injury. It is best to contact the CSIA National Office to discuss this.

Q: I currently hold a foreign certification and reside in Europe. Last season, I obtained my CSIA certification. I am interested in teaching in Europe and want to know if I am covered under the CSIA’s liability insurance coverage? If not, can I pay a supplement to upgrade my insurance coverage?

A. The territory coverage on the policy is worldwide, meaning members (as "insureds" on the policy) have coverage worldwide as well. The caveat is that suits must be brought in Canada for the policy to respond. For example, if a UK-based member gets sued in the UK, there is no coverage, however, if they are sued in Canada, coverage will be provided.

It is important to understand that no member is covered on a primary basis other than for free-skiing, leisure skiing. The member should confirm that the snow school for which he is working, presumably somewhere in Europe, has insurance that picks up their ski instructors. If this is the case, as in Canada, the CSIA policy will respond in excess of the snow school's policy (again, if the suit is launched in Canada). If the snow school has no coverage, the member should speak with an insurance broker in the country where they reside and arrange appropriate coverage, or seek employment with a company that does provide adequate primary coverage.




Q: How do I find a ski instructing job in Canada?

A: Check out our Web site under Jobs for job postings by region. Click here to search all jobs.

Q: How do I post a job for my ski school?

A: As a director or ski school administrator, please log into your ski school page and select the "Manage Job Postings" button. If you do not have a login name and password, please contact us and provide the following information:

  • Name of Ski School
  • Postal address
  • Email address
  • Telephone number
  • Fax Number
  • Name of Contact person including email and phone number

Affiliate Instructors

Q: I am certified from a foreign country, how can I become a CSIA member?

A: You must send a copy of your current certification and application form to the Membership Services Department to be granted an Affiliate CSIA Member status. For more information about the affiliate status and the link to the application form, please click here.

Q: If I want to become a CSIA Instructor do I get any recognition for my other certification(s)?

A: All Affiliate Instructors with legitimate foreign certification merit some degree of recognition. Based on our charts, Affiliate members will be assigned an equivalency to a CSIA certification level, which allows to go straight to the next CSIA certification level.

Template by JoomlaShine